Michael P. McDeavitt
Michael P. McDeavitt, Certified Family Law Specialist, has practiced law for over 20 years. He is a trained and experienced mediator and litigator with more than 600 hours of completed continuing legal education to his credit. His practice is dedicated exclusively to Family Law. Mr. McDeavitt has served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Superior Court of California, Alameda County and has been a featured speaker on Family Law matters and marriage care for over a decade.
Mr. McDeavitt received his BA degree from the University of California at Berkeley and his law degree from the University of California Hastings College of the Law.
He has successfully completed the Advanced Family Law course, the National Institute for Trial Advocacy Trial Advocacy Skills Program, and mediation training through the Congress of Neutrals pursuant to the requirements for the State of California Dispute Resolution Practices Act. Mr. McDeavitt is a member of the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists (ACFLS), the Alameda County Family Law Association (ACFLA), the Family Law Section and Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of both the Alameda County (ACBA) and Contra Costa County Bar Associations (CCCBA), and the Family Law Section of the California State Bar.
Mr. McDeavitt has served as a Settlement Commissioner for the Superior Court of California, Alameda County, been appointed as a Special Master in Family Law proceedings, and served on the Bay Area Regional Standing Committee to the Family Law Section Executive Committee (FLEXCOM). In 2019, Mr. McDeavitt had the privilege of serving as both judge and mediator for the American Bar Association's Alternative Dispute Resolution Regional Finals Competition at UC Berkeley. He is the recipient of the CALI award for Family Law Negotiation & Settlement and the CALI award recipient for Community Law.
Mr. McDeavitt is a former Military Intelligence Officer who served with the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment, at Hohenfels, Germany. He is a distinguished military graduate · and recipient of the Chancellor's Perpetual Trophy awarded by the University of California annually to one graduate for outstanding leadership. He is the recipient of the Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, and Parachutist Badge (Airborne), amongst other military honors.
Mr. McDeavitt has been married for over 25 years. Together, they have helped couples for over a decade foster long-lasting and thriving marriages as part of the Catholic Community's marriage care team. He and his wife are both Cal grads, as are both of their daughters. Mr. McDeavitt is an avid hiker and long-suffering football fan of the Cal Bears (Go Bears!).
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Family Law Specialist
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- UC Berkeley
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, CALI Award for Family Law Negotiation & Settlement
- Recipient, CALI Award for Community Law
- Recipient, Chancellor's Perpetual Trophy Award
- Recipient, Army Commendation Medal
- Recipient, Army Achievement Medal
- Recipient, National Defense Service Medal
- Recipient, Army Service Ribbon
- Recipient, Overseas Service Ribbon
- Recipient, Parachutist Badge
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California State Bar, Family Law Section, Member
- Alameda County Bar Association, Family Law Section & Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Member
- Eastern Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists (ACFLS), Member
- Contra County Bar Association, Family Law Section & Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Member