Divorce Representation and Mediation Services Throughout the Tri-Valley Area and East Bay
For nearly 20 years, attorney Michael P. McDeavitt, a California Certified Family Law Specialist, has provided qualified and compassionate family law representation. His practice is limited exclusively to family law. Mr. McDeavitt is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley and the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He sits as judge pro tem with the Superior Court of California, Alameda County. Mr. McDeavitt is a former military intelligence officer who served with the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment at Hohenfels, Germany. He is a proud member of the 4th Infantry Regiment Veterans Association.
Our firm helps our clients go through divorce and mediation in a timely, cost-effective and equitable manner. We will do everything we can to help you achieve a lasting compromise with your spouse. However, when settlement is not possible, we are not afraid to aggressively represent your interests in court.
Questions? Please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your family law case.
Conveniently located near the 580/680 interchange and the Stoneridge Mall.
Our Approach to Family Law Cases
We take a different approach to the practice of family law. While some lawyers may encourage feelings of hostility and resentment between spouses, this mentality is only productive for the attorneys themselves, who profit from cases that can take many months or even years to litigate through the courts.
The truth is, couples can achieve better results in significantly less time — and at a greatly reduced cost — by attempting to work together on a compromise that is agreeable for both parties. As an experienced mediator and Certified Family Law Specialist with nearly 20 years of experience, Michael McDeavitt will help guide you through the process and make sure that you are satisfied with the outcome. However, if mediation is not an option for you, Mr. McDeavitt has the education and the experience to aggressively protect your rights.
Areas of Focus
Our firm helps clients resolve a wide range of divorce and family law issues:
- Divorce mediation and litigation — Mediating with your spouse has many benefits over taking your divorce case to trial. It costs less, takes less time and often produces a more lasting agreement than the court system can provide. However, if mediation is not an option for you, our firm can aggressively fight to protect your rights.
- Child support and spousal support — It is important to know that the amount you pay in child support and alimony is within your control as long as you agree to it with your spouse. Take your case to court, and you relinquish that control.
- Property division — California state law views partners in a marriage as a team, with each member having equal share in property or debt acquired during the marriage, with certain exceptions. We can help you maintain ownership of your assets and protect you from your spouse's extramarital debt.
- Domestic violence — Being the victim or perpetrator of domestic violence can have a significant effect on your child's custody, your spouse's and your own visitation rights, and the child and spousal support you pay or receive. Speak with a Certified Family Law Specialist to learn how domestic violence will affect your case.
- Prenuptial agreements — Making sure that your agreement is drafted properly can have an impact on your finances and property that can impact you for the rest of your life. It is absolutely critical that the drafting and the execution of the agreement be done in compliance with the law.